Whip up a delicious and cheesy one pot sausage pasta that’s perfect for busy weeknights! This flavorful, hearty dish combines Italian sausage, tender pasta, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese all cooked in one skillet. Your family will love gathering around the table to enjoy this mouthwatering meal! This easy recipe is for a fuss-free dinner that can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Makes This One Pan Sausage Pasta So Good?
Hate doing dishes? You’re not alone! Nothing ruins a great meal like knowing you’ll be stuck cleaning the kitchen after eating. That’s why one-pot meals are so popular these days.
This easy one pot pasta recipe is not just quick and convenient but also darn delicious! It is so full of peppers, onions, sausage, and cheese that it eats a lot like a casserole you can make on the stovetop!
Why You Should Try This Recipe
This hearty and filling pasta dish is inexpensive and perfect for feeding a crowd when you are on a budget. Everyone will love the traditional taste of Italian sausage and peppers, and you will appreciate just how easy it is to make!
Italian Sausage Pasta Ingredients
To make this one pan sausage pasta recipe, you’ll need:
- Italian sausage
- White onions
- Red bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Pasta, cooked
- Pasta sauce or marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning blend
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Sweet or hot Italian sausage will work in this recipe. Choose the one you like more.
Short pasta is best. Bowties, ziti, or penne pasta are all good choices. Save time by cooking the pasta in advance. Cooked pasta will last about three to four days in a covered container in the fridge.
You can use an inexpensive tomato sauce here since all the other ingredients give even the simplest sauce an incredible flavor.
You can use yellow onion instead of white onion for a milder onion flavor.
How to Make an Italian Sausage Pasta Skillet
To prepare this one pan cheesy sausage pasta:
- Brown the Italian sausage in a large ovenproof skillet over medium to medium-high heat. It can take up to 20 minutes to thoroughly cook the sausages, so be patient. If you are worried about serving undercooked sausages, try cooking them in simmering water for about 8 minutes and then browning them in the pan.
- While the sausages are cooking, you will have plenty of time to prepare the pasta al dente according to the instructions on the package.
- Place an oven rack in the top position and preheat the oven to 400°F if you plan to use the oven. Note: You must have an ovenproof skillet to do this.
- Chop the onions and red bell peppers into large pieces.
- Once the sausages are browned, remove them from the skillet and let them rest on a plate.
- Add some olive oil to the hot pan and saute the onions. When they soften, add the chopped red peppers and cook for a minute or two longer until the onions are translucent. Stir well to prevent burning.
- Chop the sausage into piece-sized pieces and add to the vegetables in the pan.
- Pour in the sauce and add the cooked pasta.
- Stir to coat the pasta.
- Simmer until the sauce is hot.
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Pop the ovenproof skillet in the oven, and cook until the cheese bubbles.
- Plate and serve. Garnish with chopped fresh basil or parsley if desired.
What to Serve With Easy One Pot Pasta
Make the same sides you enjoy with pasta. Garlic bread, lightly dressed greens, or a Marinated Mozzarella Salad are all great choices. Do you want to get more creative? Why not try grilled broccolini, oven-roasted brussels sprouts, or sauteed asparagus?
To change up this one-pot pasta recipe, try swapping the Italian sausage for ground beef, turkey, or vegetarian crumble. Frozen meatballs are also a convenient option for adding protein.
You can also add some heavy cream to the pasta sauce for a creamier version.
Spice it up with some red pepper flakes.
Sprinkle some grated or shredded parmesan cheese on top for a little extra cheesy goodness.
How to Store Italian Sausage Pasta Skillet
Allow the dish to cool, then transfer the leftovers to an airtight container. Store it in the fridge.
You can also freeze this one pot pasta meal. The best option is to freeze the sauce by itself and then add fresh pasta when you reheat it, but it is okay to freeze everything all together. If you plan to freeze the pasta, you will see better results by undercooking the pasta by a minute.
How Long Does It Last
Keep the pasta in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for as long as two months.
What’s the Best Way to Reheat One Pot Sausage Pasta?
If frozen, reheat in the microwave using the Quick Defrost button or heat at 50 percent power for four minutes. Stir, then heat in 30-second bursts until the pasta is hot.
If thawed, reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat. You can add extra tomato sauce if the pasta seems a little dry.
More One Pot Recipes
Do you love one pot meals? Here are several more one-pot meals you are going to love:
Favorite Pasta Recipes
One Pot Sausage Pasta
This one-pot Italian sausage pasta is cheesy, irresistible, and perfect for a weeknight.
- 1 pound Italian sausages in casings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil optional
- 10 ounces pasta cooked according to package directions
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped basil to garnish (optional)
- chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
Brown the sausages in a skillet until they are cooked through. Remove from the skillet and slice into bite-sized pieces.
Sauté the onions and red bell peppers in the same skillet until the onions are translucent. (If the skillet is too dry, add about 2 teaspoons of olive oil.)
Add the cooked pasta, pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, and prepared Italian sausage to the pan and stir. Top with the shredded mozzarella.
If your skillet is ovenproof, you can pop it under the broiler for a few minutes and let the cheese brown. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley, if desired.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 986mg | Potassium: 508mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 785IU | Vitamin C: 20.2mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 2.2mg