This Italian skillet chicken and peppers is flavor packed thanks to tender chicken, juicy tomatoes, roasted bell peppers and plenty of spices! This family favorite is simple to prepare in one skillet for an easy weeknight dinner!
Crispy yet tender skillet chicken with peppers and onions plus tomatoes is a flavorful dinner that is not only tasty but healthy, too! It’s everything you want in a savory chicken recipe.
Made in one skillet with a quick prep time, it’s then hands off while the ingredients roast to perfection. The vibrant flavors marry together and create not only a visually appealing dish but one that is satisfying for a weeknight dinner!
Why You Will Love Chicken And Bell Peppers
- Healthy and delicious: Lean protein with vibrant peppers is not only visually appealing but nutritious, too! It’s low carb and packed with vitamins and antioxidants.
- Flavorful: With plenty of Italian seasonings like basil and oregano, it’s flavor packed!
- Easy to prepare: With only 20 minutes prep time and made in one skillet, this chicken and bell peppers skillet is a quick dinner great for busy weeknights with minimal clean up!
- Versatile: This is a flexible recipe where you can use whatever chicken you have on hand and swap the spices to suit the taste of your whole family.
- Olive oil: I love to use extra virgin olive oil
- Aromatic: Freshly minced garlic and onion add flavor and aroma.
- Chicken: Five pieces of chicken legs, breast or a combination.
- White wine: A dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or unoaked Chardonnay.
- Tomatoes: A can of chopped tomatoes or whole San Marzano tomatoes.
- Bell peppers: I used yellow bell pepper and red peppers although any color sweet pepper is great roasted.
- Italian seasonings: Dried oregano and dried basil.
- Salt and pepper: Red pepper flakes can be used instead of black pepper.
How To Make Skillet Chicken And Peppers
To begin, in a large skillet or cast iron skillet add the olive oil, chopped onions and garlic then sauté until transparent.
Add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown on both sides before adding the white wine and cooking on high.
Next, add the tomatoes, sliced peppers then seasonings and simmer covered on low-medium heat stirring occasionally. Serve this easy meal immediately with fresh Italian bread.
- Spicy: Add the optional dash of red pepper flakes or red chili flakes to this chicken and peppers recipe.
- Creamy: Stir in some cream cheese or mascarpone near the end of cooking.
- Veggies: Add some sliced mushrooms for some earthy, umami flavors or add in some sweet cherry tomatoes or artichoke hearts.
- Fish: Substitute the chicken for a mild fish such as cod or tilapia.
- Instead of white wine: Use balsamic vinegar for a slightly different yet just as delicious taste.
- Avoid dry chicken: If using chicken breast, 165° is the optimal temp, but for dark meat like chicken thighs, 175° helps break down the connective tissue for a tender bite.
- If the sauce thickens: During the cooking process add up to ½ cup water or chicken broth as needed.
- Slice peppers in similar size: This ensures that they cook evenly.
- Any color bell pepper works: Red bell pepper, yellow peppers or orange peppers can all be used! Green peppers work but will add a slightly different flavor profile.
- Garnish: Fresh basil or fresh parsley always add a pop of fresh flavor or taste.
- Creative use of leftovers: Make a sandwich for lunch the next day! Shred chicken and combine with pepper mixture. Add toasted bread with some provolone or mozzarella cheese.
Although this is delicious on its own, to round out the meal, I love dipping a crusty piece of Italian bread into the skillet chicken and peppers!
This dish would also be great served over pasta, white rice or these mashed potatoes. A side of cauliflower rice or steamed vegetables would be a low carb healthy choice.
Boneless skinless thighs, chicken tenderloins or boneless chicken breasts can all be used. Chicken legs are also great. You can use skin-on chicken pieces if desired.
Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F degrees. Using an instant read thermometer is helpful.
Yes. Assemble recipe as directed and portion into an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat.
Can I Freeze Leftovers?
Yes, cool completely then freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. The vegetables and chicken may not be as crisp but it will still be delicious. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More Favorite Chicken Recipes
I hope you enjoy this delicious Italian Skillet Chicken and Pepper dish has much as we do. Buon Appetito!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 5 pieces chicken (legs or breast or a combination)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes or whole San Marzano tomatoes*
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1-2 pinces hot pepper flakes or black pepper if desired
- ¼-½ cup water
*If you get San Marzano tomatoes you will have to chop them yourself
Prevent your screen from going dark
Clean and remove the seeds and white filaments from the peppers, then cut into long thickish strips.
In a large pan add the olive oil, chopped onions and garlic, sauté until transparent, add the chicken pieces and brown on both sides, then add the white wine and cook on high for 1-2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, peppers, oregano, basil, salt, water and hot pepper flakes simmer on low / medium heat, covered for approximately 40-60 minutes (or until chicken is cooked and no longer pink, chicken is cooked when the internal temperature is between 165-175F), stirring occasionally. If you find it is getting too thick add a little more water. Serve immediately with fresh Italian bread. Enjoy!
To freeze – Assemble recipe as directed and portion into an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat.
Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 375mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 974IU | Vitamin C: 83mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg
Updated from September 22, 2015.