One Pot Chicken Alfredo is a delicious meal to make any day of the week. A simple creamy homemade Alfredo sauce sets this recipe above one with jar sauce. Serve this tasty chicken pasta dish for a comforting and satisfying dinner.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quick and Easy One Pot Pasta Recipe
Are you looking for a one pot meal that is easy to prepare, tastes great, and is ready in just a short time? If so, this chicken alfredo in one pot recipe may be just what you need – it’s perfect for a family dinner on busy weeknights. This simple chicken alfredo recipe is incredibly comforting, creamy, and cheesy from the combination of parmesan and heavy cream.
This one pot chicken alfredo pasta is a wonderfully tasty dish that combines chicken and pasta with a beautiful creamy rich sauce and is ready in about thirty minutes! If you love alfredo sauce and pasta, you will appreciate this one pot chicken fettuccine alfredo.
This chicken and pasta recipe is a good way to use up any leftover chicken. If you don’t have any, you can buy some chicken breasts or thighs and cook them in seasoned water.
Why You Should Try This Chicken Alfredo One Pot Recipe
You may work hard during the day, and you want to avoid coming home and spending a long time cooking dinner for your family. Perhaps you’ve had one of those crazy days at work trying to please your demanding boss. Now, you find your household in chaos with each kid going in a different direction, and you’re tempted to just throw up your hands and order a pizza!
This one pot chicken alfredo pasta recipe is not meant to be an authentic Italian pasta dish. Rather, it’s a quick meal that’s perfect for midweek. You can have it on the table in about thirty minutes and it gets high marks for effort vs. output.
Also, cooking a meal in just one pot is one less thing to think about and one less pot to wash. Easy prep and easy cleanup! Quick pasta dishes like this one will never disappoint!
Chicken Alfredo Recipe One Pot Method – Ingredients You Will Need
The ingredients are very basic – nothing time-consuming to hunt down:
- Pasta – Fettuccini or other pasta
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic or a shallot
- Salt and pepper
- Chives (optional)
- Mozzarella cheese (optional)
How to Make Chicken Alfredo One Pot Method
There is nothing complicated or difficult about making this dish. Here’s what you do in brief:
- Sauté the shallots or garlic in butter.
- Remove the sauteed garlic and wipe out the skillet.
- Pour the pasta into the skillet and add salted water.
- Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce the heat to simmer until the pasta is softened and the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the cream, parmesan, chicken, and shallots/garlic.
- Stir to combine all the ingredients together.
- Season to taste and sprinkle with chives and mozzarella if desired.
If the sauce gets too thick and gluggy, add a splash of hot water. If the pasta is still not tender enough for your liking, add ¼ to ½ cup of hot water and keep cooking.
It’s best to use freshly grated (not shredded) parmesan. Pre-shredded cheeses tend to be coated with anti-caking agents that prevent the cheese from getting smooth and melty.
One Pot Chicken Alfredo Recipe Variations
This recipe involves chicken, but you can use any cooked meat you have on hand. Here are a few ideas if you want to vary this pasta recipe.
- Protein: Substitute shrimp for shrimp pasta alfredo or shrimp fettuccine alfredo if you go with fettuccine. Other tasty ideas are thinly sliced chicken sausage or prosciutto.
- Pasta: Instead of fettuccine or other long pasta, you can use your favorite short or medium pasta or noodle – farfalle, penne, rigatoni, rotini, shells, ziti, etc.
- Vegetable: About halfway through the pasta cooking time, add some veggies of your choice – halved grape tomatoes, shredded spinach, small broccoli florets, red or green bell peppers. Or toss in some sundried tomatoes or sliced black olives when the pasta is cooked.
- Butter: Substitute olive oil for sauteeing the garlic.
- Chives: Use chopped fresh parsley instead.
- Crunch: Toast some panko breadcrumbs in a skillet with butter and use them as a garnish.
- Heat: Sprinkle in some red pepper flakes or Cajun seasoning for a Cajun spice one pot alfredo with chicken.
- Creaminess: To save on calories, you can substitute half and half for the heavy cream, but your pasta sauce will be less rich and creamy.
How to Serve One Pot Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
This creamy fettuccine dish (or your other choice of pasta) pairs well with a simple green salad or a veggie side like roasted asparagus or fried zucchini. You also can’t go wrong with garlic bread to sop up all that delicious alfredo sauce.
How to Store One Pot Chicken Alfredo
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Freezing pasta with alfredo sauce is not recommended.
To reheat, add a few splashes of milk and reheat gently on the stove in a wide pan until thoroughly heated.
Love Alfredo Sauce? Try These Recipes!
Favorite Italian Pasta Recipes
One Pot Chicken Alfredo
You can make delicious chicken alfredo in one pot and have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 16 ounces dry pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic or shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- salt to taste
- chopped chives if desired
- mozzarella cheese optional
In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain pasta.
In the same large pot, saute minced garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter. Saute over medium heat until the garlic is tender.
Stir in heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, drained pasta, and chicken. Blend until the cheese has melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
Sprinkle with chives and add mozzarella cheese if desired. You can pop the pot into your oven set on broil if you want to brown the added mozzarella cheese for an added effect.
Calories: 503kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 445mg | Potassium: 327mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 531IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 2mg